Monday 6 May 2013

Main product and ancillary texts- Evaluation

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

I think I have created three very good products which link well together and reflects the bands image. Firstly, I wanted overall to get across  the main band image which was they are a very fun and young band who are very individual and have great personalities but are also very serious about music and what they do. I feel I have got the very fun and young side across in the music video, and the more professional serious look and feel to the digi-pak and album advert. I felt it was important to keep the advert and digi-pak professional because this is what the consumer is potentially buying, you buy a CD for the good quality music you like. I felt you watch a music video more for entertainment and to see what the band have done with the music video and song together.

I decided to create a Art Deco feel to my ancillary texts, I think this is a professional style that is attractive and works with the mahogany drum artist name. The word Mahogany is very decorative just like the style Art Deco.

From my research I concluded I wanted to keep the text of the artist name "Mahogany Drum", the same in each of my texts. In the future If I was to make another ancillary text or next album I would keep the text of the artist name the same so the audience recognize it instantly for being a Mahogany Drum album. I feel I have done this effectively by choosing a unique text, keeping the same text on the album and advert has linked them together and you can clearly tell they are by the same band.

In my album cover I wanted the picture to link with the album title. I have a picture of an guitar pic frozen in a block of ice. The album name is called "Ice" so I have effectively linked the name and image together. I feel the guitar pic also represents that they are a band who play all their own music. You associate the guitar pic with artist who play instruments and perform live.

I think I have combined the album cover and the album advert particularly effectively by having the same image of the pic in the ice cube in both ancillary texts. By having the same image in both you associate them with each other, and because the advert is suppose to be advertising my album it makes sense to have the album front cover image in the advert so the potential consumers know what it looks like.

In my research I decided to not to put an image of my artist on the album cover, the artist imagery features in my music video and on my album cover. I felt these were the best places to have the image of the artists. I felt the album cover is too small to have an artist image, I wanted to keep the album cover simple and not full up or busy. I think having an artist image on two of my three products works well and promotes their faces enough for them to become recognized by fans.

On reflection I am glad I went with the Art Deco more serious album advert then the antarctic penguin advert, I think this because I believe my album cover and advert work so effectively together, to have a jokey advert wouldn't of fitted my album cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment